Unadulterated Arrogance

Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Mass Exclusivity

I have the honour in coining a new oxymoron; 'Mass Exclusivity' and I do so in respect to the marketing blitzkrieg launched by Gmail. I would be none too surprised if Philip Kotler himself is behind the marketing campaign, for only a marketing genius of his stature can contrive up such a potent plot. The bare basics of marketing is to create demand even if its non existent. We all have email accounts and more than one at it too; but then why all the hoopla around gmail? Gmail's strategy was/is excellent; its a mixture of niche marketing and mass marketing. By making the product exclusive, an enormous amount of interest was generated and they capitalized on this interest by applying theories of mass marketing to it. Gmail is still 'by invite only' which makes it a very exclusive club but then again when you give each account holder 6 invites its non-exclusive to say the least; in effect their audience is increasing 6 fold at any given time. Almost a year since the launch and the demand still hasn't abated. Gmail is an average product; email services like fastmail.fm are light-years ahead but the naive netizens like the rest of the world are more enamoured by the packaging than by the product..

6 Comments:

  • gmail rocks dude

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/27/2005 08:53:00 AM  

  • Google really thought this one thru

    By Blogger Master Foley, at 1/27/2005 01:11:00 PM  

  • Think about it, google adwords, google adsense, blogger.com, google toolbar, google desktop, gmail and now maybe a google browser in the making.... google is the next Microsoft of I.T

    By Blogger injinuity, at 1/28/2005 03:17:00 AM  

  • Gmail still in demand? Naaah.. seems everyone and his mom-in-law has a gmail account these days. Ask me! I've been waving them to all and sundry and still have 16 Gmail invites left!Sixteeeeeeeeeeeen!!! Any takers?

    By Blogger Sangeeta, at 1/28/2005 07:26:00 AM  

  • (Oh you're just jealous 'cause nobody's invited you to join yet.)

    I agree, "mass exclusivity" really is brill. Gmail isn't anything to get terribly excited about..unless you can't have it. I have tried gmail out. It's good and all, but what the 'ell am I supposed to do with a gigabyte of storage? The only thing I could possibly do with it--free up space on my machine by using it to store files--doesn't work because its file uploading is horrible.

    By Anonymous C.B., at 4/22/2005 08:23:00 PM  

  • I have been to your site and I too am working very hard at top adsense keyword to increase my revenue. I am also looking into many NEW ways to utilize the design to further direct people to follow my ads.
    top adsense keyword

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/01/2005 12:40:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home