Unadulterated Arrogance

Friday, January 21, 2005

Double Standards

From time immemorial the human race has been plagued by double standards and none more prevalent than the male-female divide. When one has a new baby, if its a boy the room is painted blue, if its a girl; the room is painted pink. You buy the girl a barbie doll and the boy the biggest gun you can get. The girl is given a doll and a tea set and is given the first lesson in house keeping whereas the boy is given a free for all with his mighty gun. The little kids then grow up and with the exceptions of a very few 'rebels' who stray from the set standards the rest all fall in line with the stereotype expected from them.

I believe in gender equality, the probability of me abusing my female subordinate is as equally high as the probability of me abusing her male counterpart, I play the gender game very fairly and without prejudice. I for one have never been party to societal male-female stereotypical expectations until very recently where I too became a part of this menace. A bunch of us guys and girls were all hanging out together, finally we all returned to a friends place, where the booze started to flow, I am a teetotaller and hence I abstained from it (but mind you I have no problems in pouring the drinks)... the guys as usual were drinking as a fish drinks water... the girls also joined in and after an hour or two they took their leave of absence. When they had left the first comment that was made by a good friend of mine were "what sluts"... in the Indian cultural ecosphere the female stereotype is that of docility and homelinesses. The males are not chided for alcoholic consumption but a female who does the same is looked down upon with contempt in our society. Maybe the fact that I don't booze did play a part but rather than rebutting his remarks I too nodded in agreement. I'm unable to reason why I did this, was it just that being brought up and being subjected to such stereotypical expectations I too unconsciously imbibed the same, or is it just that I don't prefer females who drink?... I guess its a mixture of both.

10 Comments:

  • I completely agree with that...shame on humanity!

    By Blogger Sid, at 1/21/2005 03:30:00 AM  

  • Actually, most early dcumentation of Indian social life found that the family was a far more equal affair than even now. Children were allowed to do as they pleased, it was seen as a learning experience, and women were held in high regard. For a clearer picture read Howard Zinn's A Peoples History of the United States. Hopefully you were not refering to people from India.

    By Blogger dav, at 1/22/2005 04:17:00 AM  

  • Dav,

    I presume you are referring to the native american Indians, in which case I will just have to take your word on it for I don't have a clue about native american Indians.. I on the other hand was talking about the people from India, I too am India and hence the rhetoric.

    By Blogger injinuity, at 1/22/2005 06:41:00 AM  

  • sorry, with your references to mexico (Adios Amigo),cuba (Elian) and christmas I have the idea you are an american. Hence american indians

    By Blogger dav, at 1/22/2005 07:19:00 AM  

  • Hahahaha thats a really good one man, seriously I never thought about that angle hahhaa.. yup, I am a christian so I guess you get 1 out of 3.... but seriously now that I think from your angle I too can see why you might have reached that conclusion.. I'm not from America... its just that I have an opinion on every place from mexico to cuba to the U.S ;-)

    By Blogger injinuity, at 1/22/2005 07:36:00 AM  

  • Maybe you just wanted to blend in...

    By Blogger Sangeeta, at 1/22/2005 10:45:00 PM  

  • Maybe you need to re-think certain preset notions you might have,if any.Eg:Women+Alcohol=Woman-Moral character.Also,I wonder if being honest about ones double standards makes it seem like not having any.

    By Blogger wookie, at 1/24/2005 08:20:00 AM  

  • I hear ya wookie.. you are right being honest about it doesnt make it go away eh?... but then again I have a moral highground.. I don't booze either.. so technically its not double standards... but I know you are right.. I blame it on the upbringing.. my crazy godfearing mother is all to blame for this ;-)

    By Blogger injinuity, at 1/24/2005 11:39:00 AM  

  • Technically it is double standards, if you are ok with men boozing and not ok with women boozing. But then, who am I to judge?I,personally, dislike men & women alike,if they can't hold their drinks and act stupid.

    By Blogger wookie, at 1/24/2005 01:13:00 PM  

  • It's not just Indian culture. It's everywhere, men can get away with whatever they want, women aren't allowed to be 'vulgar.' Yeah I am sounding feminist here, but it needs to be.
    -Hanah

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/31/2005 07:41:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home