Unadulterated Arrogance

Saturday, December 25, 2004

Taking The Christ out of Christmas

As of late, Christmas has begun to lose its sheen and I find the event a little lacklustre; and no this has nothing to do with my recent realization that though Santa Claus is real, Rudolph 'The Red Nose' Rain deer is a fictional character and in all probability Santa flew the skies in his modified Falcon F-16's sans Rudolph. Anyways, I attribute this loss of Christmas spirit to two predominant reasons. The former one being the extreme commercialization of Christmas and the latter one being politically correct with respect to Christmas.

Being a capitalistic right-winger myself, commercialization of Christmas is something that I don't speak against for if a buck is to be made then so be it. My gripe is with the politically correct people who are shunning "Merry Christmas" signs with "Happy Holidays" signs. Across the Western Hemisphere, singing of Christmas Carols and any reference to Jesus Christ is a strict no no as it might offend the minorities. I for one celebrate all the Muslim, Hindu, Jewish festivals and I have no objection to the religious undertones of these festivals. All other religious communities are proud of their heritage and culture and celebrate the same with zest and vigour but Christians in trying to be politically correct are effectively taking The Christ out of Christmas and this has to stop pronto.

2 Comments:

  • I am a liberal and I think this who "anti-Chritmas" things is a waste of time.

    By Blogger Tommy, at 12/25/2004 07:54:00 AM  

  • I'm a fairly left-wing person but I totally agree with your view on all this political correctness crap. And although I choose not to recite the "Pledge of Allegiance" in school (I'm atheist), I respect that the ideals of God were what helped found the nation.
    And while I disagree with political correctness, I'm fervently against people who choose not to shop at stores like "Macy's" for saying "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas". For more information see The Committee to Save Merry Christmas.

    By Blogger Shiran, at 12/25/2004 12:50:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home