Unadulterated Arrogance

Tuesday, December 14, 2004

Professionalism

"So learn this as a first lesson about life. The only successful beings in any field, including living itself, are those who have a professional viewpoint and make themselves and ARE professionals" — L. Ron Hubbard

It saddens me to say this but there is a dearth of professionalism in Qatar. Anything I do, I do it as a Professional to Professional standards; but alas professionalism is an antiquated theory in this part of the world. I remember an instance when I was new to Qatar and had gone to buy a car, the showroom had a fleet of cars, there were numerous salesmen on the floor but I had to keep calling them to answer a few queries that I had, such were the responses that I was flabbergasted and left hastily. Were I in India, the moment I stepped into the showroom, a salesman would have marked me out and would be with me toe to toe and would make a worthwhile attempt at selling the car. There is a lot of money at play in Qatar yet the levels of professionalism exhibited are substandard. The disintegration of the levels of professionalism has been augmented by two expatriate nationalities in particular (whom I will not name for the sake of diplomacy)....But the bottom line is that with Qatar hosting international events like the Asian games and the Motor GP, there should be a sustained effort on the part of the government and the local companies to improve the levels of professionalism.

2 Comments:

  • Antiquated? My friend, professionalism never existed in Qatar for it to grow old and antiquated.

    By Blogger Raju, at 12/15/2004 08:15:00 AM  

  • Where there is a will, there is a way.
    In keeping with the "unity" call issued at the GCC Summit in Bahrain, let's hope that things will improve over time.
    Personally, I have faced similar situations when visiting Qatar.
    The service sector is worse than anywhere I have ever seen.
    There isn't a service culture, even in restaurants.
    But some of the Qatari officials I have met have impressed me a lot - they are open-minded and very hands-on when it comes to dealing with issues in their departments/companies, especially those in the private sector.
    Never lose hope...there is always light at the end of the tunnel.
    Perfection is not a standard for everyone ;)

    By Blogger SillyBahrainiGirl, at 12/21/2004 12:11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home