Unadulterated Arrogance

Sunday, October 03, 2004

DISS Like

What do I dislike?.. Well I dislike linguistically challenged nitwits whose vocabulary involves the erroneous usage of the word “like”. You would presume blue eyed blonde bimbettes to be the greatest offenders in this respect but alas it’s crept into the lexicon of mainstream society as we know it. I’m not against the usage of it in normal conversation as long as the frequency with which it is used is kept down to a bearable minimum but when someone says, “and she is like he is like so cool like no one else in Qatar” and I want to pull out an Uzi and spray bullets.

Like maybe use as a preference: He likes it, it maybe used as a preposition too, its allowed to be used when making comparative statements but Like should never be used as a conjunction, its grammatically correct to say, “the house looked empty as though no one had lived there for ages” rather than, “the house looked empty like no one had lived there for ages”. But my biggest pet peeve is when its used as substitute for said and even more frustrating is when you come across this in professional spheres of life.

4 Comments:

  • Hearing the word "cool" 10 times in a 5 minute conversation is so uncool. It is also irritating and a conversation killer.

    By Blogger Phoenix, at 10/03/2004 07:43:00 PM  

  • quote:"I want to pull out an Uzi and spray bullets"

    You'll, like, have to, like, own an uzi, like, and some bullets for it, bro. Better to, you know, like, strangle the person.

    By Blogger Raju, at 10/04/2004 10:19:00 AM  

  • How do you feel about excess usage of the word 'me'? Especially when the context is better served by 'I' or 'my'?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/05/2004 02:16:00 PM  

  • You are right anon, I concur.. but alas I too use "me" in the written format inlieu of my/I often when the subject matter is informal.. when I speak my english is as gramatically correct as possible even when its informal... but in the written form I digress a little; no harm in that especially since its informal and the context is still the same and it does add a little personal touch to it.

    By Blogger injinuity, at 10/05/2004 03:05:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home