Unadulterated Arrogance

Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Good manners

One thing that I find extremely wanting in Qatar is good manners. A "good morning", "thank you", "good night" etc. makes a world of difference. A thorough professional should behave courteously, then again I find professionalism even more lacking in this part of the world.

One of my biggest gripes is that in Qatar, rarely does someone ask you to sit down if you walk into their office. Someone walks into mine and the first thing that I do is to offer him/her a seat. But umpteen times have I walked into other offices without being offered a seat, so what do I do? Do I keep standing? Hell no.. I simply ask, "may I have a seat" and then sit down.

I have also noticed the look on waiters faces when I say a thank you when they deliver the food... they brighten up... here people order the food, get it served by the waiters and that's it... no thank you.. no nothing.... somebody should embark on a "Good manners for Qatar" mission. Good manners show your level of professionalism, maturity and pedigree.

2 Comments:

  • You are absolutely right! I've sometimes felt its a racist ploy of belittling you. Gee! I'm learning a trick or two from you.

    By Blogger Phoenix, at 9/14/2004 03:55:00 PM  

  • You are right, sometimes its racially motivated too but hey coming from Indian roots, the worlds biggest democracy and member of the elite nuclear club and one of the fastest growing economies in the wolrd you don't have anything to be ashamed of. Next time you are faceed with such a situation as for a seat, look at the other person with pure arrogance and you win round two.

    By Blogger injinuity, at 9/16/2004 03:57:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home